Hello there! New Laptop Help also plz

Discussion in 'Introductions and Farewells' started by Cliff, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Cliff New Member

Message Count:
    Weekly offers at GamersGate

Hello again from Cliff - this time from a personal account. You guys have been more than helpful with canyourunit so I figured this was a pretty good community to join :)

I'm about to buy a new laptop that I want to use for gaming. I'm looking to spend around a grand (maybe more if needed) and want to be able to play new/big games on high settings. I was thinking of going thru alienware and building one of their custom laptops but what do u guys think? Any suggestions on where to start?
  2. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    Welcome to the forums Cliff, nice to see you here.

I wouldn't recommend Alienware unless you want a laptop. If you must have one get a laptop from them, otherwise build your own desktop. You can get an Desktop that is two times better than any laptop for the same price. A grand would set you up with a nice Sandybridge setup if you got a desktop and you would not be limited to Mobile dedicated cards.
  3. cheezMcNASTY You're here to entertain me.

Message Count:
    Welcome (again) to GV, Cliff!

If you're set on a gaming laptop, I highly recommend either an Asus or a a Sony Vaio F Series laptop. Asus laptops tend to be pretty spendy because of their reputation, but a Sony gives you some great bang for your buck. I couldn't recommend them more. I've got a laptop window shopping thread lying around here that I think may be of use to you. The models and specs I was looking at are still very much in line with the kind of PC specs you would be after.

Here's the thread.
    Here's where I designed and got a quote on the Sony laptop.

Looking at the F series customization, here are the specs that you can get for $1,199 USD. I'm not trying to advertise or anything. It's just that if I were to buy a gaming laptop tomorrow, this is where I would go.
    • Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM quad-core processor (2.40GHz / 3.50GHz with Turbo Boost)
    • 16.4" 2D LED backlit Full HD display (1920x1080)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M (1GB) dedicated graphics
    • 500GB (7200rpm) hard drive
    • 4GB (4GB x1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333

If you are in the United States and have (or know someone who does) a membership to Costco or Sam's Club, ordering laptops from their websites is a great way to go. See what they have in stock, check the specs, and maybe look at a few PC World or CNET reviews for good measure.
  4. Cliff New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the responses guys - I'll be sure to look into that tomorrow. The thing is, I know a desktop would be the better way to go, but I also need a laptop for work purposes and don't have the funds to spend on both right now. Maybe I'll try and hold out a little longer and buy a cheap and small laptop that I can work on and then make the spring for a desktop.
  5. Dark Drakan Administrator

Message Count:
    Steam ID:
    darkdrakan
    Nice to see you again Cliff. It would probably be more cost efficient in the long run to spend the money on a desktop and then get a cheap laptop for work afterwards. Laptops are much harder to upgrade and parts are often more expensive and harder to integrate. If something goes wrong with it, its much more difficult to replace parts too.
    Azer249 likes this.
  6. Cliff New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Drakan. I'll keep that in mind. Looks like I have a lot of research to do this weekend.
  7. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    I shall lend you a hand with the parts if you give me a budget range. From that ill whack up 2 different rigs, one AMD one Intel.
  8. Dark Drakan Administrator

Message Count:
    Steam ID:
    darkdrakan
    Can always use your own data to see what the most popular cards are and what runs what well.
    Azer249 likes this.
  9. Cliff New Member

Message Count:
    So i think i've settled on going with a gaming desktop and pickin up a new cheap laptop somewhere down the line. @Drakan I've actually been doing that to some extent - using the info on rankmycomputer.com to figure out which video card will be a good bet
    cheezMcNASTY likes this.
  10. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:

What budget range are you considering for the Desktop? I'de be more than happy to help.
  11. cheezMcNASTY You're here to entertain me.

Message Count:
    If you aren't sworn to secrecy, I would be interested to know what video card you came up with based on the data. Such details would probably make for a very good thread down the road, too.
  12. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:

Just from my personal opinion i wouldn't go bellow a GTX 560ti at this moment in time, purely down to future proofing. Gtx 560tis and even Radeon 7770's (New AMD range) can be picked up for good prices right now and they are optimal mid tier graphics cards. When you go into the Gtx 570 to Gtx 680 range you're looking at the top end of cards. Just a word of warning don't go for any graphics cards before Nvidias 500 and AMDs 5000 generation, purely down to the fact they do not have Dx11 Support.

Tl'dr:

Gtx 560ti 1Gb Edition is around Mid tier. Gtx 570 and above are mainly for hardcore gamers who will game regularly (That and benchmark fanatics) If you're looking for a good system that will run games smoothly at high/ultra settings (based on res) there is no need to go above a GTX 560ti. However if you want all Ultra with max AA, Dx11 and Physx features you will need at least a GTX 570.
  13. Cliff New Member

Message Count:
    So far it looks like azer has picked out the gtx 570 for me so far but that may push the whole pc out of my budget. we'll see though, i'm going to do some more research on prices this week
  14. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    Check what i wrote above mate, also bear in mind that's the top end one i chose the parts for. I'll look at a cheaper one tomorrow with a slightly worse processor, a system that will run most games on high/ultra can easily be brought for $1000 +/- I was just considering future proofing at the same time, so there's a longer time period before you need to upgrade, saving you money in the long run. :)
  15. cheezMcNASTY You're here to entertain me.

Message Count:
    Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I was asking what video card the data on ratemypc was pointing towards. :hmm:
  16. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    Oh i was just saying my personal opinion on graphics cards and just some general information regarding the specs of them at the moment. Thought it might help along with the RateMyPcData. I think i miss-interpreted the post though, silly me. :lol:
  17. Dark Drakan Administrator

Message Count:
    Steam ID:
    darkdrakan
    Onto the right track then id say and the stats you have access to will be invaluable too. Ive always liked the look of the gtx 570 too I have to say.
  18. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    GTX 570 is a nice card for it's price. Quite a leap up from the 560ti something like 10-20% better ide say, a nice card for a first rig. The one card i've been looking at is the gtx580 however, i just realised i already have a 560ti so why not SLI them when i get the money? They will out preform a gtx 580 by around 10% and it will be cheaper. Just think, when he upgrades again he could SLI two 570s. :lol:
  19. Dark Drakan Administrator

Message Count:
    Steam ID:
    darkdrakan
    So long as you have the PSU to run them both ok (obviously) they would be great, many times ive known people try it and wonder why they have had issues when their Power Supply couldnt handle it.
  20. Azer249 Steam: Azer249

Message Count:
    Indeedy, most people just assume "Hey my 600w psu will be fine running two cards", nope. I'll be using a HX850w when i sli them.