It’s pretty damn admirable that Blizzard are still supporting these two classic strategy titles. Warcraft III released way back in June of 2002, and The Frozen Throne expansion pack hit store shelves just over twelve months later in July of 2003. Still, almost a decade on, Blizzard have seen fit to chuck out yet another patch for these two two games that saw the rise and fall of Prince Arthas. The new patch brings the games up to version 1.25b, and the changelog is really quite extensive:
- Improved Masonry Upgrade health boost decreased from 20% to 10% for all 3 levels
- Siege Engine Level increased from 2 to 3
- Rifleman HP increased from 505 to 535
- Warden Shadow Strike mana cost increased from 65 to 75
- Druid of the Talon Faerie Fire duration decreased from 120 to 90
- Blade master Wind Walk duration reduced from 20/40/60 to 20/35/50
- Raider Ensnare Cooldown increased from 12 to 16
- Spirit Wolf Rank 1 Wolf Level decreased from 3 to 2
- Ivory Tower gold cost increased from 30 to 40
- Tome of Experience now gives Heroes 100 experience points, down from 150
- Orb of Venom poison duration decreased from 8 to 6
- Warcraft III will now write its registry keys on launch.
- Widescreen (stretched) resolutions should now be available in the Video options.
- You can now purchase items from shops while Hexed.
- Scroll of Town Portal will no longer be consumed when casting fails when used at the same time that your Hero is Hexed.
- Hex will no longer extend the duration of Metamorphosis.
- Hex will no longer disable mana or health regeneration of Heroes.
- Wisps Detonate ability will no longer drain mana from Heroes while under the effects of Potion of Invulnerability.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to ally with opponents when alliances were locked (“share hack”).
- A gold exploit with buildings has been fixed.
You can loot the v1.25b patch for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos from here, or the patch for The Frozen Throne right here. The patches are available in a startling number of variations, and also include updates for the Mac OSC versions of the games. If you only have Warcraft III, alone, installed, you need only install that patch. If you have both Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne expansion pack, you need only install the expansion’s patch.